What worries general counsels most about sustainability?
As noted in this “Above the Law” blog, Ernst & Young’s EY Law group and the Harvard Law School Center on the Legal Profession interviewed 1,000 General Counsel and Chief Legal Officers and in response to the question about “how concerned are you about the risks caused by sustainability?”, the top responses were:
1. Loss of customers due to reputational damage – 75% level of risk
2. Damage to the company’s brand – 75% level of risk
3. Lawsuits by non-government actors – 70% level of risk
4. Increased enforcement by regulatory bodies – 62% level of risk
5. Challenges assessing investment – 60% level of risk
6. New laws or regulations – 59% level of risk