Environmental group wants companies to influence trade associations
– Leading environmental groups have joined to form a new lobbying group, AAA.
– They are pressuring companies to leave trade associations that don’t line up with their values.
AAA is a newish climate lobbying initiative supported by 12 leading environmental organizations calling on America’s CEOs to “Advocate, Align, Allocate.” Hence the moniker, “AAA.” This six-page guide provides a framework for climate policy leadership. It’s fairly high level – which is to be expected – but it has some interesting stuff. I particularly like this one addressing “how to lead”:
- Speak out. Publicly distance your company from statements or lobbying against climate policy by your trade associations. Explain how it is inconsistent with your own emission reduction goals and with your support for climate policy.
- Change their position. Work to end trade association lobbying against climate policy through transparent and time-bound engagement with those organizations.
- If necessary, leave. Where attempts to change an association prove ineffective or insufficient, discontinue your membership.